Sunday, December 5, 2010

Letters, Wolves, Trees, Celebs: Day two of looking at art. Bonus: dinner at Fratelli Lyon

We continue our journey into the art world via a day trip to Miami.

But first, rather than submit an incomplete and not even finish it next semester, I'll briefly describe the return to Fratelli Lyon. We've met Fratelli Lyon a few blog posts down, and it would be nice to further our acquaintance, would it not? At least to enjoy a primi patti after the appetizer?

My companions were some well-to-do art patrons who share my last name and my genetic makeup. They graciously followed my recommendation to eat at Fratelli Lyon after the fair, since it beat walking from the convention parking lot to South Beach or getting a $13 roast pork sandwich in the Art Basel garden cafe.

It was touch and go. We arrived at about 5:30, heady from looking at art and tired from walking (at least my parents were, I was okay). The restaurant was entirely booked- not surprising since an extra 40,000 people were in town. But the manager found a little table for us and sat us in the hallway, which sounds bad but was fine. The only loss was the orange mesh placemats.

Well-to-do art patrons like to eat food that reminds them of art, so we went all out and ordered all the courses an art patron can ingest. Feast your eyes on this:



Let's see. You've got your veal milanesa, your seafood stew, and your mushroom risotto. All very good. I ate the mushroom risotto- it was subtly flavored and hearty and the color of pencil shavings. I like when food looks plain and tastes good. Seems very spiritual. Dad loved his veal milanese, which was the daily special. He hadn't had it for years. Apparently veal milanese is hard to find. I tried a bite and liked it, though it could have been a bit, I don't know, dirtier and crunchier. Perhaps that isn't appropriate for an a nice meal for a well-to-do art patron?

No comments:

Post a Comment